Need Help? Call 1-844-TRUDOOR(844-878-3667) | Arizona 623-748-9122
Fire-Rated Commercial Hollow Metal Doors
Fire-Rated steel doors play a vital role in keeping people safe and minimizing property damage during a fire. Labeled fire doors control the spread of fire and smoke for up to 3 hours. Metal fire doors are an economical alternative to wood fire doors, when more than a 20 minute rating is required. Steel is the sole door material to deliver a 3 hour fire-rating.
Trudoor is an authorized WHI fire-labeled shop (Warnock Hersey / Intertek), enabling us to modify, re-certify and label fire-rated doors and frames. Our facility undergoes routine inspections to verify that modifications are done in compliance with the requirements of the Intertek specification listings.
- 20, 45, 60, 90 Minute or 3 Hour Label
- Heavy Duty 18 Gauge Steel
- Insulated Polystyrene Core
Fire-Rated doors are required to be self closing and positive latching.
Frame and Hardware must also carry the appropriate fire label.
Starting at $195
90 Minute Fire-Rated Door
w/ Narrow Vision Lite on KD Drywall Frame – Finished (Painting by others)
3 Hour Fire-Rated Door
Flush Door on Welded Masonry Frame – Unfinished (Primed Gray)
- 18 Gauge Cold Rolled or Galvanized Steel (16 Ga. Available)
- Full Body Polystyrene Core
- Standard Widths up to 4'0", Height to 8'0"
- 1-3/4" Thickness Standard
- Non-Handed Design
- Seamless Filled Edges
- 12-Gauge Closer Reinforcement
- 7-Gauge Hinge Reinforcement - Reversible
- 16-Gauge Flush Top Cap - Galvanized
- 16-Gauge Inverted Bottom Cap - Galvanized
- Prime Painted Gray; Two Part Epoxy Factory Applied, Baked On (No special color or painting options available)
- Standard Lock Preparations Include 161 (cylindrical lock), 86 Edge (mortise lock), Deadbolt, Panic Bar Reinforced
- WHI / ITS up to 3 hour, Positive Pressure and “S” Smoke included
- Fire Door Classified Openings
Fire door openings are classified by their locations in a building. Location determines the length of exposure protection required, based on the potential fire hazard of that particular area. The opening classifications are shown below.
Fire-protection ratings tested and classified by: Warnock Hersey-WHI or Underwriters Laboratories- UL
Note: Most exterior doors do not require fire rating, unless there is the potential for fire exposure from the outside of the building. See Flush Metal Doors for non-rated doors, which are made from the same construction as a fire-rated metal door.
Wall Rating Description and Use3 Hour (180 Minutes) 4 Hour These openings are in wall that separate buildings or divide a single building into designated fire areas.1-1/2 Hour (90 Minutes) 2 Hour Openings of this type are used in enclosures of vertical communication or egress through buildings. Examples include stairwells and elevator shafts. They also occur in boiler rooms and in exterior walls that have the potential for severe fire exposure from the outside of the building.1 Hour (60 Minutes) 1 Hour These door and frame assemblies divide occupancies in a building.3/4 Hour (45 Minutes) 1 Hour For use where there are openings in corridors or room partitions. A door with this rating may also be located in the exterior wall of a building subject to moderate fire exposure from the outside of the building.1/3 Hour (20 Minutes) 1 Hour These openings are in corridors where smoke and draft control is required.
- Five Basic Requirements for a Fire-Rated Opening
The wall, door frame, door and hardware must all be fire rated. The door must be self closing and positive latching (push/pull plates cannot be used on a fire rated door) and steel ball bearing hinges must be used.
1. Labeled Door Frame
2. Labeled Door
3. Approved Closing Device (Door Closer or Spring Hinges)
4. Approved Latching Device (Lockset or Exit Device)
5. Steel Ball Bearing Hinges
- Glass Specifications
Fire-Rated Ceramic Glass
UL labeled ‘clear’ ceramic glass, with surface applied heavy duty safety film.
- Ceramic; Impact-Rated
- Free of amber tint
- Light Transmission: 80%
- Fire Rating: 20 Minutes to 3 Hours
- Thickness: 3/16″
Fire-Rated Wired Glass
UL labeled wired glass. An economical alternative to ceramic glass, for 20-90 minute fire rated doors.
- Embedded 3/4″ x 3/4″ wire mesh
- Safety film applied to one side
- Light Transmission: 86%
- Fire Rating: 20 Minutes to 90 Minutes
- Thickness: 1/4″
Use of glazing tape on both sides of all glass types is recommended to minimize breakage.